Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Sugar Loaf in Rio de Janeiro

We lived in Rio de Janeiro for a year, but it wasn't until our last week there that we decided to visit Pão de Açúcar, or Sugar Loaf.  And now, half a year later, I'm finally posting pictures!

When we left the house it was sunny, but I commented to Peter and my in-laws how smoggy it looked.  Turns out it wasn't smog, but fog.  And it got a lot foggier!

To get to the top of Sugar Loaf you have to ride two cable cars.  The first cable car takes you to the top of the smaller mountain, and the views were pretty.  Too bad we had already sold our nice camera...  Also too bad that the fog was starting to get heavy.  We decided to get a bite to eat at the restaurant and hoped that the fog on top of the taller mountain would go away by the time we were done eating.  Well, it didn't.  It got worse.  And let me just say - riding a cable car into pure white fog is terrifying.

We took pictures of... fog... and then headed back down.  The views coming down were not what we hoped (on a sunny day you can see the entire city of Rio), but they were still unique.




























So that was our adventure up Sugar Loaf.  I'm really bummed that we didn't make it on a sunny day, but I'm still glad we went.  If you go to Rio de Janeiro, make sure to add Sugar Loaf to your list.  It's a bit overpriced, but in the end I think it's worth it.  If you go on a sunny day you get an amazing view of the city.

Linking up for Travel Tuesday.  I've been so busy lately but I really hope to hop around and read some other Travel Tuesday blog posts!  There are so many fun things to discover in blogland!

XO,
Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I'd love to know what you think. Please leave a comment!

Follow